COLON & RECTAL Minimally Invasive Surgery
As a team, Hudson Valley Surgical Group has access to the networks required to expedite cancer prognosis and pre-surgical work-up. Diseases of the colon, benign & malignant, once required open surgery with a large incision, resulting in a difficult, long and painful recovery time for patients. Now, when appropriate, Hudson Valley Surgical Group utilizes Minimally Invasive Surgery techniques for many diseases of the gastrointestinal system including diverticulitis and colon and rectal cancers. The most common MIS colon & rectal procedures include, colon removal for hernia and malignant disease, and hemorrhoidectomy. Over 90% of the 600+ colon & rectal surgery cases completed by Hudson Valley Surgical have been done laparoscopically. Colon or Rectal cancer follow-up is supported with radiation, neoadjevien, chemotherapy and dietary guidance.
Minimally Invasive Colon & Rectal Advance Techniques
The MI Surgeons of HVSG are the experts in laparoscopic, MI colon surgery which can be performed with and without the da Vinci robot. This advanced technique involves a series of four to five smaller incisions (allowing for placement of the minimally invasive instruments), instead of one large incision to perform the colon and rectal surgery. This powerful new technology enables surgeons to complete the surgery faster and more precisely than ever before This is a welcomed surprise to many patients who are unaware that minimally invasive colon and rectal surgery is available. This allows patients to return to their diet faster with no use of a nasal NG tube and they are able to preserve function.
Patient Benefits to Minimally Invasive Colon & Rectal Surgery
- Less risk for wound infections Colon & Rectal surgery wound infections and complications have significantly decreased with far less blood loss and less trauma to the body.
- Less scarring MI colon & rectal surgeries require small incisions resulting in less noticeable scars.
- Less anesthesia MI colon & rectal surgeries are ideal for patients with sensitivity to anesthesia.
- Decrease surgery time Superior and precise technology have decreased colon & rectal surgery time.
- Less pain MI colon & rectal surgeries result in less post-operative pain.
- Faster recovery/Shorter hospital stay You will go home sooner!